When we think about email the first word that hit our mind is Gmail. It has become a household name due to its ease and convenience. Although, there is a bundle of email services available but Gmail top the list as millions of users prefer this email service for their day-to-day email activities. However, it is quite frustrating when your favorite Gmail app crashing on the smartphone device regularly. This error halts your crucial task of sending and receiving emails. Many users faced this issue regularly, so we come up with the solutions that might fix the crashing issue of the Gmail application.
Why does Gmail Keep Stopping?
There might be several reasons for Gmail to keep stopping problems but it is not usual for Gmail for behaving in this manner. The most common causes are viruses, cache files, and bugs in your device and sometime Dark themes may hamper the functioning of the Gmail application.
These are the known causes but sometimes users failed to figure out the reason why is Gmail crashing on my phone, well we are here with a solution that possibly brings back the Gmail application on track.
Troubleshoot Gmail Keep Crashing Issue
Clear Cache and Data from the Gmail Application
To fix my Gmail keeps crashing issue, you need to clear the data and cache files from the device. The cache and unused data make applications buggy and prevent them to work smoothly and even sometimes unstable the functioning. But clearing the cache files lighter the application and remove the unnecessary files from the storage folder. To clear cache and data from Gmail on your mobile, follow these steps:
- Go to the Setting section of your device
- Find the Application and select Gmail
- Now tap on Storage
- Next, delete the cache and data for Gmail.
- Now Restart your device.
Uninstall and Re-Enable the App
If the Gmail app keeps crashing on an Android device, you can try to uninstall the application and then reinstall it. In case, the Gmail application is in-built into your device try to disable and re-enable it. It takes a few minutes and the issue can be fixed without deleting the data from the Gmail server or device. To remove and reinstall the app on your device, follow the underneath steps.
- At first, Go to Settings
- Now find the Apps and click on it, now tap on Installed apps, and tap on Gmail.
- Next, tap Uninstall or Disable ( in case of in-built ) and confirm the action
- Instead, Go to Play Store and find Gmail and select Uninstall.
- Now, Install Gmail from the Play Store again and reboot your device.
- Tap and hold on to the Gmail icon from the Home screen.
- After that tap the X to uninstall the Gmail.
- Tap Delete to confirm.
- Now you need to restart your iPhone after deleting the app for better results.
Log in and Log Out from the Google Accounts
This solution sounds strange but it works most of the time as the login and logout process may resolve the issues that trigger the Gmail keeps crashing android problem. Follow the below-given steps that guide you to log in and log out from your Gmail account.
- Go to Settings
- Select Accounts & Sync.
- Select the Google account
- From the bottom menu, choose the account that you want to remove.
- Now restart your device and tap on “add the account” and see if the app stops crashing.
Disable the Dark Mode or Theme from Gmail
Dark mode or theme seems attractive as it has several benefits also such as protecting the eyes from harmful rays and consuming less battery in smartphones. But there is a catch, a dark theme often causes the Gmail crashing issue. However, Google has made several attempts to resolve the issue by launching an improved version of the dark theme but the Gmail keep crashes still continue to distress the users. Hence, disabling the dark mode worked for many users so follow the underneath steps to disable the dark mode;
- Go to Gmail.
- Now, tap on the 3 parallel lines from the left upper corner of the screen and select Settings
- Tap on General Settings
- Choose Theme and select Light.
- Now restart your Android smartphone and check if the crashing issue has been fixed or not.
Update Gmail App to fix Gmail app crashing
Updating an app must be done on regular basis as apps like Google drops update frequently and those updates help Gmail to function smoothly. A missing update can cause many issues, crashing might be due to an outdated app. So, check for any updates and install it immediately by following the below-given steps;
- Open the Play Store and tap on the search bar
- Now type the Gmail application, you will see “Update” next to Gmail
- Click on “Update” and let the device install it.
- Tap the App Store icon from the Home screen.
- Now from the App Store screen, tap the Updates icon placed at the bottom right. The list of apps will appear that need to be updated.
- Next tap the Update button next to Gmail.
There will be a number of reasons why is my Gmail app crashing regularly on Android as well as iPhone. However, this isn’t a hazardous issue but it can halt your speed and performance in the workplace. Hence, we have provided the tired and tasted solutions that fixed the problem undeniably. Just perform the steps carefully for successful troubleshooting.